If you know what a Learning Management System (LMS) is, it’s very likely you know the frustrations that come with it. Originally developed for academic institutions to facilitate distance learning and complement classroom teaching, today more and more brands that rely on third party sales forces – retail staff, bar staff, cosmetics, hair salons telesales etc.- to drive sales – recognise the key role that a compelling, engaging and rewarding online training system can play. Not only does it drive measurable improvement in understanding and sales performance, but it also mitigates the need to for significant investment on classroom-based training.
Choosing the right LMS is challenging with over 700 systems on the market. KHWS have evaluated the market as part of our research in developing our own E-Learning Tool which is dedicated to the needs of brands, and found there are a number of myths that exist around the entire arena of e-Learning.
- Paying per user is good value: Paying on a per user basis is not as cost efficient as it sounds – as LMS were originally developed for academic use this is a legacy of traditional institutional based pricing where volumes are high. The requirements for brands are more nuanced and different job roles require different training content.
- One Size Fits all: Knowing your audience and their needs allows you to dismiss many of the LMS options- if they don’t offer a bespoke content function, they will not meet your needs.
- Any LMS can be altered: Tailoring specific content to specific audiences does not come as standard – brands have different requirements by retailer or job grade or product and the majority of LMS systems don’t offer audience segmentation as standard.
- Clicks equal effectiveness: Reporting is key – you need to know which training modules are working and where there are issues and you need to know that participants are engaged and committed – without comprehensive reporting your investment is wasted
- An LMS will save me an entire learning department: Be realistic about the level of in-house resource you have – the majority of LMS systems are only as good as the content you provide and all they do is repurpose it. Our LMS is based on providing an ongoing creative service to turn your content into compelling training experiences.
- SCORM is the universal answer- you will see this acronym associated with LMS it stands for “Sharable Content Object Reference Model”. It was developed to transfer content from one LMS to another but when you are starting from scratch it’s an unnecessary requirement that will stop you deploying compelling training content.
- Field sales will need a different system: The role of your Field sales team is key – by making your LMS engaging and useful for your field sales staff you will have a greater success in driving participation from your targeted audiences.
- Gamification is always good: Gamification only works if its salient and measurable and adds value to your brand-while many LMS have gamification functions they are inflexible or built for academic learning and not suitable for brands.
- Users don’t need to know about each other: Social comparison and league tables help drive participation- again its best to build these to match your audience.
- Desktop is the only way to work: A mobile first experience is key – by building our E Learning Tool as a Progressive Web App we deliver this user experience at the fraction of the cost of traditional Apps.
We developed our e-learning tool based around the principles of learning, not around making an existing system better. Whilst 50% of classroom learning is forgotten within 5 weeks, our tool delivers audience specific content and benefits from input from Durham University Business School on how to engage participants in online learning. This ensures that our Training Modules are compelling, interactive & chapter based to work in harmony with gamification and drive participation.
So, whether you are a booze brand training bar staff, a haircare brand motivating hair salon staff, a tech brand training retail staff or a pharma brand liaising with Hospital Trusts the KHWS E- learning tool can deliver the E-Learning experience you need.